Thursday, February 24, 2011

More Favorite Budget Foods

     In a previous post, I gave you some of my favorite budget foods.  I wanted to add a few more to the list.  Keep in mind, these foods are not just budget friendly, they are also very versatile in their usage also. 

     1.  Dried Beans and Legumes-What a great food!  So good for us too.  This food gives us plenty of fiber and so much more.  We can make great soups with dried beans; such as white bean chili, ham and bean soup, lentil soup.......the choices are endless.  Let's not forget the great baked beans we can make too.  Just use the sweetner-brown sugars available instead of white sugar.  I love this food. 

     2.  Quick-Cooking Oats-No, not instant.   Oatmeal is always better for us made from quick-cooking oats and the longer cooking ones than instant, which has been so processed.  We can make enough for a couple of days at a time.  There is so much we can add to it too.  This is a great food to add that oh so good for us cinnamon.  I like to add sliced or slivered almonds or I add chopped apples while the oats are cooking.  Then before I eat it, I like to add a little fat-free milk too.  To heat it up the next morning, you can make it nice and creamy in the microwave, simply by adding a little fat-free milk; stir, and heat.  Excellent food for us. 

     3.  Sugar-Free Gelatin-I know you might laugh at this one or maybe you don't consider this a real food.  Well, maybe not, but it is definitely budget-friendly and very versatile.  Not only that, but in most diets, this is considered a free-food.  We can follow the directions and just have it as a gelatin dessert or snack, we can add fruit to it and get some of those servings in for the day, or we can mix it with other ingredients to make great sugar-free desserts.  What is better than that.  My favorite sugar-free flavor is black cherry.  YUM! 

      Let me know what your favorite budget foods are.  If you have any favorite recipes using some of your favorites, feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment