Friday, February 11, 2011

Diabetes and Your Job

Ways to Help Yourself                                    
Diabetes on the Job          
Talk to your doctor about ways to manage your diabetes at work.    
  • Eat meals at the same time every day.  Try not to skip meals or snacks.
  • Take your medicines and test your blood sugar as directed by your doctor
  • Describe the signs of low blood sugar to close co-workers.  You may need their help if your blood sugar drops.
  • Keep sugar snacks or glucose pills in your desk at work in case your blood sugar get's too low (less than 70 mg/dl) and carry some with you too.
  • Tell the company nurse you have diabetes.
  • Keep tabs on your stress.  Try deep breathing, relaxation or take a short break from the office if you can.                      
     You can find more of this information on http://www.1on1health.com/

It is hard for me to keep to a schedule as far as meals are concerned.  My job pays us for our lunch, therefore, we don't actually get to take a half-hour or hour to just sit down and eat.  We have to wait on customers in-between bites.  Certain days of the week I work 11 hours, and every night except Saturday, we are open until 7 pm, so that means a late dinner.  I have to adjust how I eat so this does not become a problem.  What I try to do is take a bigger lunch and divide it in half, when I can.  I eat part of it at lunch time then later around 4 or so, I eat the other part.  Then when I get home at 8, I try to just have something small for dinner.  I always have snacks and fruit with me too.  I guess it just depends on your work schedule as to how you work in your meals.  That's the only way I have been able to figure it out so far.  Share any tips you may have as far as meal schedules or how you get through your day at work.  I will also be posting a Valentine's Day message tonight, since I don't post on the weekends, so I hope you read it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment