Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blessing in Disguise

I have said many times that being diagnosed with diabetes has been, in many ways, a blessing in disguise.  I truly believe that it has been.  Do I like pricking my fingers with those lances twice a day, having to take medication, or not being able to have certain foods?  No, of course not.  They aren't the blessings, they are the aggravations of this disease, and there are many more too. The blessing is that it has forced me to look at many things in my life.  The most obvious, of course, the weight I had gained and the food I was eating.  But, more importantly, why I ate the way I did.  I am an emotional eater, which a lot of us are.  If I became upset or stressed out, I either didn't eat and then when I got so hungry that I couldn't take it, I would eat way too much.  Other times, I would just eat too much.  I also ate when I was bored too.  I kept telling myself that one of these days, I will lose the weight.  I had tried diets and different types of exercise many times through the years, but was never able to stick to anything.  When they told me that I was going to have to take the medications I am on and probably have to take them for possibly the rest of my life; that was enough for me.  I hate taking medication.  I don't want to be on it for the rest of my life and I definitely don't want to have to take insulin shots.  I'm one of those types of people who only went to the doctor when I was sick and I would put it off as long as I could even then.  Do I have bad days?  Yes, of course I do.  Do I always stick to my diet?  No, I cheat every now and then.  But I really am trying to keep a positive attitude.  I'm trying to get out more and do more things with my family and friends and am trying to date again too.  I think if I keep busy and not isolate myself, it will help a lot.  That's one of the reasons I started this blog.  It always helps to know there are others with the same disease and some of the same problems.  It can help to have a support system.  So, please feel free to share your experiences or feelings if you would like.  If you find yourself getting depressed and can't seem to come out of it, talk to your doctors.  They will be able to offer a variety of options.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an emotional eater, too. Always have been. On top of it, we come from a family who loves to eat! It usually takes something like a serious illness or something really severe to happen to make us have what Oprah calls an "AHA" moment. I too look at my illness as a blessing in disguise sometimes because I would probably still be a workaholic and wouldn't have a family or anything - just work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,Sandy, you always were a workaholic. HaHa!! Just one more thing to add to this. This is just a little proof that this disease is managable and we can still live a long life. Our great-grandmother was diagnosed in her 40's with Type 2 Diabetes and she lived to be 92.

    ReplyDelete