Friday, April 1, 2011

Let's Try Again: PMS and Diabetes

    I am going to try again to post this.  Hopefully, whatever was wrong with my computer that was causing me to lose some saved material has been corrected.  Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that this will be word for word from the first attempt, but it will be consistent with the previous post on this issue.

     My question was-Does Diabetes cause a severity of PMS symptoms in women?  I have noticed since I first started experiencing the symptoms of diabetes, that PMS has become more severe, especially in the last several months.  This past week, however, has been the worst of all.  My emotions have been completely out of whack.  I can cry when I should be laughing and laugh when I should be crying.  It's been unreal!  A Facebook friend posted a video the other day that was hilarious.  I found it so funny, but yet instead of laughing I was crying.  My brain was recognizing the humor, but something wasn't registering right somewhere because I was crying real tears and not the laughing til you cry tears either; sad tears.  Not to mention this awful feeling of doom and despair I have been experiencing.  What is that?   I have never felt like this before and it has been an especially difficult week for me to handle.  I have also noticed that I become very angry, and very quickly sometimes too.  I know some friends of mine have experienced this in the last several months.  I have found myself apologizing quite a bit.

     I suppose I am really not in any condition to reason anything, but I am extremely stubborn and will try anyway.  LOL!  Here is my reasoning for thinking that Diabetes is causing my PMS symptoms to become more severe:  Insulin is a hormone and not only that, it is one of the most important hormones our body produces.  Type 2 Diabetes is the result when the insulin that is produced is not able to perform it's primary function-helping the body's cells use glucose for energy.  So if one of the most important hormones our body produces is out of whack, does it not stand to reason that it could affect the other hormones our body produces?  PMS, as we ladies know, is all about hormones.

     I have yet to speak to my physician about this and have not found any proof in any of the research I have done on this matter.  The only written material I have found so far is a blog post The Manual No One Gives Us-Menses.  In this post it does suggest that blood sugar levels can fluctuate during PMS and a woman's menstrual cycle and that hormones are to blame.  It says Estrogen and progesterone tend to influence blood sugar levels.                            

      If any of you ladies out there have noticed an increase in PMS symptoms since being diagnosed with diabetes or have spoken to your phycisian about this, please comment.  I think this is an important issue to ponder.  I will be discussing this with my phycisian on my next visit and will post his reply to this question.

7 comments:

  1. I am a type 1 diabetic, but I have the same PMS symptoms as you. I become very emotional, the slightest commments or actions upset me. i feel depressed and fatigued and get hot flushes. My skin becomes sensitive and my injections are painful and i suffer etreme high and low sugars during the week before I am due to come on.its terrible! I am going to speak to my endocrinologist about it. hopefully there's something that can reduce my symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon! I briefly spoke to my doctor about this at my last visit and he said it is possible that the Diabetes is causing the PMS symptoms to be worse than normal and that the PMS can cause our blood sugars to fluctuate as well. He said tests would have to be run to see how severe the changes are and then we would be able to discuss what can be done. The tests haven't been scheduled yet, but I will post results when they are done and will let you know what my options are and what I decide to do.

      Delete
    2. Hi I know this is months later, but just wanted to add my two cents worth!! I don't have type 2, just prediabetes but I have been dealing with the same thing for years before I finally figured out what it was! So I am dealing with the same battle. I'm taking vitamin d and st. john's wort to help balance it out, and attempting to stay away from refined sugar and get more cardio during this time. One thing that has really helped me is shakeology. If you've never heard of it, it's a meal replacement (I know I know but it actually tastes good lol) that is scientifically proven to regulate blood sugar. And it's def helped with my cravings for chocolate, just had one about an hour ago actually when I thought I would kill someone for some chocolate ice cream :) Good luck, give some of those a try, and it's nice to see I'm not insane like I thought I was.

      Delete
  2. WOW... I needed this! I am a newly diagnosed type 1 and have just recently experienced the most emotional PMS symptoms ever! I can relate to you Sue I have been crying when I should've been laughing. Being able to relate to someone seems to make this rock y road of emotions less bumpy. Thanks Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be careful as many type 2 diabetics are actually type 1 diabetics, but the doctor didn't do enough in depth testing. Type 1 is very different in treatment and there can be bad outcomes without the correct testing including an increase in PMS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a type 2 but I get HORRIBLE anxiety and bad body aches mostly left arm, neck and back. Never fails it starts a week before my period. This has been going on for a few years. I have been in and out of er and dr appt. No solid answers. Does anyone else have this issue before their period?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Imagine not having to measure your blood sugar, prick your finger or watch what you eat anymore...

    This is a new reality for tens of thousands of diabetics who used a few remarkably simple techniques pioneered by the doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine.

    Patients are able to normalize blood sugar and be taken off all diabetes medication and injections in just 3 weeks.

    After testing these natural treatment methods on their own patients, they now want to share this secret with the world.

    >> Discover the truth about diabetes How To Heal Diabetes.

    Take care,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete