Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fort Loudon Tornado Scare-Me, Not Prepared.

    I just reposted the CDC's article on diabetics being prepared for natural disasters and hazards.  Our little town here in PA just experienced a tornado scare tonight. There was one heading straight for us here in Fort Loudon and luckily, the storm turned and we were spared. 

    I was not prepared at all and should have been since I read and posted the article just last month.  I didn't even have my tv or radio on.  I didn't know about it until a friend texted me to tell me it was coming.  At that time, I had about 10-15 minutes to grab and go.  I don't have a basement here, and live in a partial mobile home/add on, so I went to my parent's home down the street, where they do have a dirt cellar.  Luckily, my medicine bottles were right beside my purse on the table, so I was able to throw them in my purse, but I didn't have my meter.  I guess the meter isn't as important as the medicine, but I still should have had it easily accessible. 

    Well, I guess I learned my lesson.  When I came back home, I put my meter out on the table and packed some test strips and lances in a water-proof bag along with my insurance cards, just in case. I got some other things ready also.  My radio is on now too. The storms aren't over here, and if it can happen once, it can happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment