Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Trying Week

    Wow!  This has been some week so far, and it is far from over.  It is not the ideal schedule for a diabetic.  Of course, my schedule never is.  As of 7:15 tonight, I already have worked 33 hours this week and I still have 26 hours to go.  It's almost impossible to stick to any kind of meal schedule with these hours.  Eleven hour days means I spend the largest majority of my day at work.  It is so hard trying to figure out what food to take to eat.  Today, I ate a quick breakfast here at home.  I had a scrambled egg wrap and a banana.  I took a Healthy Choice Meal for lunch (just check the labels for carbs, sugar and fat), and some low-fat soup and an apple for a snack at 4:00 this afternoon.  Now, here it is almost 9:15pm and I'm waiting for my chicken to finish baking in the oven so I can have dinner.  This is crazy!  

     I am really getting tired of getting off work at 7:15pm.  It's almost 8:00 before I get home and if I have to cook something, almost 9:00 before I can eat.  It's really getting harder and harder since being diagnosed to eat the types of food we are supposed to eat as diabetics.  Add overtime into an already awful schedule and it's impossible. 

     I guess I shouldn't complain, at least I have a stable job right now.  I know there are alot of people who don't.  It just adds extra stress when you have to worry about whether you have enough food and drinks at work.  It would be so much easier if I could leave my job for lunch and go to the store if I need something, but I can't.  I am not allowed to leave at all, so if I don't take what I need, I have no way to get it. 

     I am still new to this disease and still new to figuring out a schedule and food to fit that schedule, so hopefully I will be able to come up with a healthy balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment