Friday, March 18, 2011

Pancakes are Back on the Menu and The Healthy on Tomatoes

    Pancakes are Back on the Menu-ReverseDiabetes 
     Here are some hints on how to make pancakes diabetic-friendly:

     1.  Switch to buckwheat cakes:  If you have never had buckwheat cakes, you don't know what you are missing.  I grew up on these.  My grandmother used to make them for us on her griddle.  Yum!  I have a bag of buckwheat flour in my refrigerator right now.

     2.  Make homemade whole-wheat pancakes (or waffles) with a few teaspoons of wheat germ. 

     3.  Add fiber-rich foods to the batter.  Great choices include raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, apples or granola. 

     4.  Beware of butter and maple syrup. 


     Tomatoes-ReverseDiabetes 

     I love tomatoes.  I grow my own during the summer.  I can't stand the tomatoes you buy in the supermarkets during the winter.  They are hard and have no taste.  For me, a tomato has to be fresh, red-ripe and juicy.  It's the only way to eat them.  Here's what ReverseDiabetes says about the tomato:

     These juicy fruits (yes, tomatoes are fruits) are low in calories (just 22 per tomato) and carbs (less than 5 grams each).  They're also rich in vitamin C, which helps protect the body from blood-sugar damage.  Tomatoes also have lycopene, a nutrient that's a member of the beta-carotene family that has proven blood-sugar stabilizing effects.  

     These two posts are on the same page in the link.  Just scroll down to see both.

No comments:

Post a Comment