Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The First Year With Diabetes

     It is now just over a year since I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  I'm doing

well.  There have been a few ups and downs. but overall, I've been very fortunate.  I've

learned alot over the past year and many things have changed as a result of this disease.

I'm sure many of you can relate to this. 


      A disease like diabetes can take over your life if you let it and I have tried not to let

it do that.  It was a little overwhelming at first......with the testing, the medication and the

changes in diet, but I have come to learn that it is manageable and a normal life can still

be had.


      I am blessed with supportive family, friends and now a supportive boyfriend also.

To my family and friends, this disease is well-known as so many of them have it also.

We often discuss foods we eat, the different meds we take, and share recipes and tips

too.   They have all been a big help to me.  My boyfriend is sixteen years older than me

and at 59 years of age, has no health issues at all.  He doesn't even get a cold.  So, I

have had to explain this disease to him.  He's been great about it.  He asks questions

and wants to understand what I have to go through every day to manage this disease.

I am very grateful for all the support I receive from everyone in my life.


     I don't know why, but I find myself looking around at people more now when I am

in a grocery store or restaurant or at work and dealing with customers; and I find myself

wondering how many of them have diabetes.  It is an unnoticeable disease and so many

Americans have it.  I pray every day that a cure is found and future generations will not

suffer from this disease, but it also makes me feel better that I am not alone in having

diabetes.  I think that's part of what helps me deal with it.  This blog has helped too. 

In the search for information that I share with you, I have learned so much.  I have read

so many great articles and learned alot about the types of food we should be eating and

different ways we can have some control over this disease.  I hope this blog has

been helpful to all of you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment