Monday, January 31, 2011

Too Much Stress

I don't know about all of you, but I have way too many stressful days.  It's a part of life.  But, too much stress can be extremely harmful to a person with diabetes.  Not only can it cause our blood pressure to rise and raise our glucose levels, it can also cause us not to take care of ourselves.  For the last month or so, I have been stressed out and upset over certain things that were happening in my life.  There were days I hardly ate at all and days I just ate anything that was easy and convenient; healthy or not.  More than once, I forgot to take one or both of my medications.  I also wasn't sleeping well.   There were nights I didn't sleep at all and would get up and go to work some days for eleven hours.  I might still be new to this disease, but I know better than that.  I finally told myself it was time to take charge of my health and wellbeing once again; just like I did when I was first diagnosed.  Nothing is worth making ourselves feel worse than how we already feel with this disease.  So, now, I am getting myself back on track.  When I start to feel myself getting stressed out or upset about something, I try to take some deep breaths and calm myself down.  I tell myself that I can't do this to myself and try to remember how far I've come with this disease in such a short time.  I am sleeping much better and eating much better too.  Hopefully, it will soon be warm enough again to go out and walk.  I'm sure that will help with the stress also.  I pray for strength and courage and I try to have faith that any stressful situation will work out somehow.  How do you deal with your stress every day?  Please submit any comments or tips.  This is a good discussion.  9 Simple Stress Busters from Diabetic Living

No comments:

Post a Comment